Gum Disease: Protecting Your Child’s Oral Health at Burg Children’s Dentistry and Orthodontics
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious oral health condition that affects both adults and children. It is caused by the buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth and gums, and if left untreated, can lead to tooth loss and other serious health problems. At Burg Children’s Dentistry and Orthodontics, we are dedicated to protecting your child’s oral health and are committed to providing the best care for your child’s teeth and gums.
Preventing Gum Disease
Preventing gum disease is crucial for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. At Burg Children’s Dentistry and Orthodontics, we offer a variety of preventative services to help protect your child’s oral health. These include:
- Regular checkups and cleanings: Our dentists will examine your child’s teeth and gums for any signs of gum disease and remove plaque and tartar buildup to reduce the risk of infection.
- Orthodontic treatment: Straight teeth are easier to clean and less likely to develop gum disease. Our orthodontic treatment options can help to prevent gum disease by aligning teeth and correcting bite issues.
- Oral hygiene education: We take the time to educate children on the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene and the proper techniques for brushing and flossing.
Treating Gum Disease
If gum disease is present, early detection and treatment is crucial to prevent further damage to the teeth and gums. At Burg Children’s Dentistry and Orthodontics, we offer a variety of treatment options for gum disease, including:
- Scaling and root planing: This procedure is used to remove plaque and tartar from the roots of the teeth and smooth out rough surfaces to make it harder for plaque to form again.
- Antibiotics: In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to help eliminate infection and reduce inflammation.
- Surgery: In advanced cases of gum disease, surgery may be necessary to repair damage and restore healthy gums.
Tips for Parents
As a parent, there are steps you can take to help prevent gum disease in your child. These include:
- Encourage children to brush their teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, and floss daily.
- Limit sugary and starchy foods and drinks, which can contribute to plaque buildup.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to kill bacteria and freshen breath.
- Lead by example and maintain a good oral hygiene routine yourself, this is likely to encourage children to do the same.
- Take children to the dentist for regular checkups and cleanings to ensure that any issues are caught early.
- Take the time to educate your child about the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene and the consequences of neglecting it.
Gum disease is a serious oral health condition that can lead to tooth loss and other serious health problems. At Burg Children’s Dentistry and Orthodontics, we are dedicated to protecting your child’s oral health and are committed to providing the best care for your child’s teeth and gums. By identifying and treating gum disease early, parents can help to prevent further damage to their child ‘s teeth and gums. With our preventative services, orthodontic treatments, and professional care, we can help to ensure your child has a lifetime of good oral health. Remember, regular checkups and cleanings are key to maintaining healthy teeth and gums, and our practice offers several convenient locations in the Salt Lake City region to fit your schedule. Don’t wait, schedule an appointment today and let us help protect your child’s oral health.