How to get rid of Bad Breath
Bad breath is the pits.
Literally. Like a sinking, black, swampy, embarrassing pit.
Luckily, bad breath can be fixed…and pretty easily, at that! Here are some of the best (surprising, even) ways to get rid of bad breath:
- Brush your tongue. Many of us know that brushing and flossing regularly decreases bad breath.But did you know that simply may not be enough? Many bad breath germs live and multiply on your tongue (ew).
- Chew on parsley. You can also chew on mint, but that would be an obvious choice.
- Check your sinuses. Whaaat? No, really. Did you know that bad breath could be caused by a sinusinfection? True story. It can also be caused by diabetes, and acid reflux.
- Use antibacterial toothpaste. Minty, yummy-tasting, sparkly toothpaste might just not be enough. Bad breath can be caused by bacteria built up on your teeth. Antibacterial toothpaste focus on that bacteria build-up, aka, plaque.
- Keep your mouth wet. Now, if you’re anything like me, you might think this to be opposite. Everywhere else in life, the more moist something is, the higher the likelihood of it starting to stink. Not so with your mouth! Drink water, chew sugarless gum, or suck on sugarless candy to stimulate saliva production, and it can seriously help with bad breath.
- Read your prescription label. Bad breath could be a side effect of medication. If this is the case, talk with your doctor about alternative options.
- And, of course, visit your dentist regularly. Professional cleaning, cavity and gum disease prevention are key in achieving and maintaining good breath. And as always, avoid tobacco and cigarettes for the best possible results.
When your kids are young is the best time to teach them about good oral hygiene. So next time your or your kids’ breath starts smelling like the pits, sprinkle their plates with a garnish of parsley and give their sinuses a good once-over. Their future spouses will thank you.